Tuesday, September 2, 2008

leader shy

Finally some action! I have been so close to successful the last few times I've gone carping - the fish would show interest by approaching my flies, but then at the last second, with no regard for my feelings, they would just pass up my offering. Thinking it might be leader shyness, I decided to tie on a 6X tippet for my next attempt. For you non-fishing folks, the tippet is the very end of the line, onto which I tie my fly, and 6X means that the tippet is very very thin and nearly invisible, but also not very strong, so one must be gentle when playing fish. The change seemed to work. I caught this nice drum chillin' by the bank. If you look closely, you can see my little pink worm fly stuck in it's upper lip.
Tradition dictates that when releasing fish into a current, they should be held gently, facing upstream. That way, water flows over the gills which helps the fish to recover. In low current or stillwater, I recommend gently rocking the fish forward and backwards. Though apparently some fish gills use a countercurrent exchange which means that backwards motion is not particularly efficient, the gills are essentially a passive membrane so any motion of water over gills should help the fish recover faster.

No comments: